WELCOME TO THE MIDWEST GROUNDCOVERS DISPLAY & PLANT TRIAL GARDENS!

There's so much that changes in the MG landscape throughout the year...we thought a plant trial and garden blog was the best way to start sharing "what's new" and "what's happening with all those new varieties" with you! Visit often for updates on how trial plants are performing in the gardens and to see photos throughout the season as we grow and change!

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog
Astilbe 'Vision in Red' with Hosta 'Patriot' and Carex 'Ice Dance'

Saturday, June 9, 2012

June is National Rose Month

Hello again,
June is National Rose Month, so naturally, we finally replanted our rose garden near our retail center.  David Austin, Easy Elegance, Knock Out, Flower Carpet, Home Run roses and more were planted there this week.  Today I'll highlight the Easy Elegance®.
Easy Elegance® Yellow Submarine
For many years we've been looking for the best yellow rose.  For the longest time, I stood by Carefree Sunshine™ as the best, but I have since changed my mind to this one.  The foliage stays very clean and the flowers hold their color for a long time before fading to a cream color.  These will grow to 3' tall and wide and look stunning mixed with Salvia 'May Night'.



Easy Elegance® My Girl
My Girl is one of the more fragrant of the series.  Foliage remains very attractive even after the invasion of Japanese Beetles. Flowers are on the pink side, though this picture shows a lot of red.  It is a different color than the "knock out red" that has become the trend in rose varieties.  Yellow stamens really show off the pink color. 
Salvia sclarea 'Vatican White'
This is one of those plants that never ceases to amaze me.  Every year it blooms, it has the incredibly white, large blooms that soar over very large foliage.  Foliage is interesting when the plant is not in bloom, and it does have reddish-purple stems which are always a favorite of mine.  This was a trial plant of ours from many years ago, and it still performs.  It has moved around a little via seed, but the plants are pretty easy to pull. 
Geranium 'Rozanne'
My favorite plant.  Those of you that have been on tours with me, have probably heard me say that about many a plant as I walk around the gardens.  I have many favorites, I suppose.  But 'Rozanne' is my absolute favorite.  She blooms from now until frost.  During the hottest times of the summer, it doesn't bloom as heavy, but otherwise it most always looks great. Rambling to 24" tall and 36" wide, it can also "climb" on top of other perennials to make them look good when not in bloom.

Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem'
I usually have only photographed this plant when first leafing out.  That is my favorite time for this plant.  However, I've been asked several times about the picture on top of the blog currently, and how does it look later in the season.  This is the bloom time for 'Sem', and in bloom it looks great.  Still some newer foliage that has the oranges and reds with the green are present with the white flowers.  This plant can sucker a little, and form a colony of fern-like foliage.  In 6 years, it has grown 6' tall and 10' wide after suckering.

Thanks again for reading the blog, and until next time have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here!