WELCOME TO THE MIDWEST GROUNDCOVERS DISPLAY & PLANT TRIAL GARDENS!

There's so much that changes in the MG landscape throughout the year...we thought a plant trial and garden blog was the best way to start sharing "what's new" and "what's happening with all those new varieties" with you! Visit often for updates on how trial plants are performing in the gardens and to see photos throughout the season as we grow and change!

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog
Astilbe 'Vision in Red' with Hosta 'Patriot' and Carex 'Ice Dance'

Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Busy April

Hello again,
You know it's April, when I have only three plants for the week.  We have been busy as I hope everyone else is.  Plants are looking great, but they are getting scared of low temperatures that are threatening us tonight. At Midwest Groundcovers we have a new product line of Culinary Herbs that we call Cottage Fresh Herbs, and they are going inside for the night.  They do look great, and being a fan of Basil, I've purchased a couple that I've been snacking on.
Tiarella 'Elizabeth Oliver'
This beauty is doing very well in our shade gardens.  I have it mixed with Asarum canadense in one spot and Dicentra spectabilis pokes its blooms out in the other garden.  The flowers are great, but I mostly want to show the great foliage which lasts all growing season.  These are flourishing under crabapples with old roots, so drought tolerance is one of the major benefits to this plant.  I highly recommend it.  And we actually carry it in #1 size plants and Quarts.
Geum 'Mai Tai'
Last week I mentioned a plant in combination with 'Mai Tai'.  I wanted to show the actual plant this time.  This is such a beauty.  Brent Horvath from Intrinsic Perennial Gardens in Hebron, IL developed this plant, and I think it's got a lot of potential.  Nepeta 'Early Bird' would be a very nice blue flowering perennial to combine with it.  I have them growing on the hillside in full sun along with it's sister 'Tequila Sunrise'.  Both plants are visually stimulating.

Polemonium reptans
One of my favorite woodland natives is Polemonium reptans. I've also learned fellow Midwest Groundcover employee, Trish Beckjord loves this plant as wel.  It grows well in a lot of shade, but I also have it planted in some sun.  It has become a favorite mix of mine, where I planted this, Aster divaricatus, and Brunnera 'Jack Frost' all together.  They are looking stellar right now under our Crabapple. 



Happy Spring everyone.  I hope you are all having a great April.  Until next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here!