WELCOME TO THE MIDWEST GROUNDCOVERS DISPLAY & PLANT TRIAL GARDENS!

There's so much that changes in the MG landscape throughout the year...we thought a plant trial and garden blog was the best way to start sharing "what's new" and "what's happening with all those new varieties" with you! Visit often for updates on how trial plants are performing in the gardens and to see photos throughout the season as we grow and change!

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog
Astilbe 'Vision in Red' with Hosta 'Patriot' and Carex 'Ice Dance'

Friday, August 28, 2009

Hostas and Late Summer Bloomers

Hello again,
It's been a very cool week, hasn't it? It's turning into pants and a t-shirt weather, and I love that! I am however, starting to see fall color develop on some of the plants here. I'm not sure I'm ready for Corylus americana, or American Hazelnut, to start putting on her fall clothes. We should be in for a great fall color season with the cool temperatures. As long as the rain holds off when they turn, we could be seeing some of the best colors in a long time. Onto the plants!

I've become smitten with Hosta once again. I thought I was over them, but once again, I've taken a turn for the worse. I just love these foliage plants. I think I could really go native one day, but there would be some Hostas hiding around the corner for me to look at. These are some of the ones that look especially nice right now.
Hosta 'Guacamole'
This is truly a plant that you must see in person. Not only for the great foliage, but the flower is quite fragrant as well. 'Guacamole' was named Hosta of the Year in 2002 and for good reason. It's subtle color changes in its leaves are excellent. The plant is almost always the one that people stop and ask what it is.


Hosta 'Patriot'
This is an oldie but goodie. Hosta of the Year in 1997. This sports wide white margins on super clean foliage. Chris Darbo says, "This is the first Hosta that ever made me pay attention to the flowers!" They do don purple flowers in mid summer. This is an excellent choice for dark shade.

Hosta 'Paradigm'
This is Hosta of the Year in 2007. I didn't like this plant as much when I first saw it. As it matures, it becomes a very nice plant. I'm figuring out that Hostas do get better with age. This is in a good bit of sun in a couple areas of the landscape, and has looked very nice in both of them. So I would consider this a top of the line sun tolerant Hosta.

Real quickly, I'd like to tell you the merits of Anemone 'Pamina'. This is a great looking plant for late season color. Not only does it have these spectacular semi-double pink blooms, but the stems are black as oil. Pink on black is very showy. Here they were planted with Geranium 'Espresso' which did not fair as well and they are not very visible in the picture because of that.


This is our new hedge of Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'. It is starting to put on some pink coloration and looks stunning right now. What a great hedge. In a couple weeks, I'll show you the Corylus hedge that we have started once they show some fall color.



Coreopsis 'Sienna Sunset'
I just planted this recently. I'm really excited about the color, but I do not know of its hardiness. I'll let you know next year on this one. But do you like the color? You know what to do if you do. Email me please!


-
-
-
Verbena hastata
Finally a token native. This plant is great. If you have a large area, and especially if that area is wet, this is a plant for you. The only drawback is it's propensity to reseed. Otherwise, this is an erect 6' tall beauty for the rain garden. It's flowers are vibrant purple and attract all sorts of good bugs! It also provides winter food for birds including the Junco.

Thanks once again for reading. I hope you have a fabulous September! Until next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here!