WELCOME TO THE MIDWEST GROUNDCOVERS DISPLAY & PLANT TRIAL GARDENS!

There's so much that changes in the MG landscape throughout the year...we thought a plant trial and garden blog was the best way to start sharing "what's new" and "what's happening with all those new varieties" with you! Visit often for updates on how trial plants are performing in the gardens and to see photos throughout the season as we grow and change!

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog
Astilbe 'Vision in Red' with Hosta 'Patriot' and Carex 'Ice Dance'

Saturday, June 13, 2009

June is for the Gardens

Hello again,
This is Kevin again back for another go. I'll be off the blog for the next two weeks as I am off to get married. In the meantime, Christa and Nate will be supplying the information posted here. Christa wrote the last blog and I have to thank her for that. With wedding plans going on, I didn't have the time to do the blog. She filled in admirably. Nate Jackson is our Horticulture and Propagation manager and he'll have some great information for you as well. I feel like I'm leaving it in great hands!

So yes, this is the final post submitted by the single version of Kevin McGowen. Hopefully in married life, I can offer up the same kind of information and pictures that you have grown accustomed to. At this time, there are 665 of you reading this blog a month, and Midwest Groundcovers appreciates each and every one of your time. I hope you continue to enjoy this as the year goes on and I'm sure that the next two weeks will be filled with excellent information! Okay, back to the old format. Here come the plants.
Weigela Ghost
This is very similar to the old cultivar 'Red Prince'. The difference being the foliage takes on a spooky white overlay. Foliage then looks almost yellowish. Right now, these are blooming wonderfully in the landscape. Another great introduction from Proven Winners.


Iris siberica 'Blue Butterfly'
This one can go under the "Love it or hate it" moniker. The extra pronounced white falls cover some of the intricate patterns on the petals, but I think it still looks great. It is definitely unique and possible better used for a plant collector than an everyday landscape. What do you think?
-
-
Oenothera 'Cold Crick'
This is a plant that I saw in the North Creek Nurseries catalog, and had to try. The flowers are remarkably bright. They shine like a beacon from our perennial island to our building. The flowers themselves are small compared to the Oenothera macrocarpa that we currently sell, but the flower count far exceeds the macrocarpa. Would the bright lights of 'Cold Crick' summon you?

A quick step away from specific plants to show you the gardens here. The Salvia comparison garden is gleaming right now. If plants could smile, these plants would be showing their teeth. Pictured here is 'May Night' on the left and 'Wesuwe' on the right. They have very similar colors, but 'Wesuwe' is a little shorter.


Gillenia trifoliata
I'm sure I've talked about this plant in the past, and every year I watch it bloom, I think to myself, "How big of a mistake did I make?" Many people at the company loved this plant, but I saw no market for it, so I kept it from making our product line. It may deserve a retry. Or, I may deserve a retry.


Acinos alpinus
This was given to me as Apios alpinus, but I haven't been able to find anything about the plant from Google based on this name. The other Apios I've been able to find resemble this plant slightly, but not completely. If you look at this and know right away what we have, please let me know. I'm stumped! It makes a 6" high groundcover, with mint like flowers. This is the first full season with it in the garden, and it seems to be controlled. I just really want to know for sure what the nomenclature is. Thanks in advance if you know.
Aruncus 'Misty Lace'
I just love Aruncus, and especially the dwarf types. My first experience with Aruncus aethusifolius left me wanting more. Then this plant came along. It was the perfect match for me. A shade plant that stands no taller than two feet with nice white flowers and beautiful red stems. This could be a winner in the long term once liner prices go down. It would be a much more sustainable option than Astilbes.


Thanks for reading again. I will be looking forward to writing again once I return. In the mean time, enjoy what Christa and Nate have to offer. It should be fun reading! Until next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here!