WELCOME TO THE MIDWEST GROUNDCOVERS DISPLAY & PLANT TRIAL GARDENS!

There's so much that changes in the MG landscape throughout the year...we thought a plant trial and garden blog was the best way to start sharing "what's new" and "what's happening with all those new varieties" with you! Visit often for updates on how trial plants are performing in the gardens and to see photos throughout the season as we grow and change!

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog

Welcome to the Midwest Groundcovers Landscape Blog
Astilbe 'Vision in Red' with Hosta 'Patriot' and Carex 'Ice Dance'

Friday, October 31, 2008

The Molinia, Groundcover edition

Hello all,
I must apoligize for the quality of photos in this edition. I pride myself on having good pictures here, but it's just too bright here in St Charles to get anything without glare today. Regardless, I do have some fun picture for you today. Happy Halloween, and enjoy the following:
Lamium maculatum 'Aureum' I'm amazed sometimes by plants I would never expect to like. This one goes into the category of great performers for somewhere other than my garden. But if you really like chartreuse and pink mixed together, than this is the plant for you! I have this planted in full sun. I like to test plants and see how durable they really are. It has stood up to the test and then some. It is really quite beautiful for a yellow plant with pink flowers.
Veronica 'Waterperry Blue' is my newest favorite groundcover. When I planted it this year, many people wondered why. I planted them on 8" centers and the ground looked pretty bare. Now, the plants have completely filled in and they are flowering like crazy this fall. What a great plant for parking lot islands! This could be the next great sub for Polygonum!

I think it may be difficult to see what is in the picture to the left. Here we have removed all the Thuja 'Brabant' and planted Thuja Nordic Spire(TM) in it's place. It has really changed the atmosphere of our Perennial Island. I can't wait to see it next year and have a new canvas to paint.


Midwest Solutions: In our trials of Midwest Solutions, one of the plantings has stood out to me this year. This planting is of Knockout(TM) Rose and Molinia 'Heidebraut'. The roses are visible all year because the seed heads of the Molinia do not obstruct the view. If roses aren't your thing, substitute Phlox paniculata, or Echinacea 'Pica Bella' for a nice combo!

Or, you could just plant it on it's own and enjoy it for its own beauty. This plant can surely stand alone. It merits consideration in any yard that does not get too dry. In periods of drought it does like some supplemental watering.



I hope everyone will go out and vote this upcoming Tuesday. It seems to me to be a very important election. Though I think that is the case during any presidential election. Use your right to vote! And on a less political note, Happy Halloween! Until next time, have a great day!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here!